This guide covers the following topics:
- Logging in to SystmOnline
- Logging out of SystmOnline
- Patients with EMISaccess Login Details
- Managing Appointments with SystmOnline
- Managing Prescriptions with SystmOnline
- Completing a Questionnaire
- Granting Additional Access to Your Account
- Changing your SystmOnline Password
- Changing Your Contact Details
- Asking a Question
- Registering at this Practice with SystmOnline
- SystmOnline Usage and Privacy Policies
Note: Not all of the services detailed in this guide may be offered by your GP practice.
To use the SystmOnline service, you will need to go to your GP practice to request a user name and password. You cannot register for this service online because your identity needs to be verified. Consider calling the practice in advance to find out what identification you will need to take with you.
Once a member of staff has given you a user name and a random password, wait an hour before trying to log in to the website. Your GP practice may have set up a link from their own practice website, which you can follow to access the Login page. Otherwise, your practice will have given you the web address you need to type into your web browser.
Enter your user name and password and click Login.
If you have been granted access to other SystmOnline accounts, you will see a list of usernames you can choose to log in as. Click Login As This Person to choose the account you want to use.
You will then see the SystmOnline Home Page, which shows your details and your GP practice’s contact details at the top.
Note: The services available here will depend on the services your GP practice has decided to offer.
You can navigate to all the online services from here, and can return to the Home Page by clicking Home in the blue menu bar, or by clicking the Back button on any page.
Logging out of SystmOnline
To log out:
- Click the Logout link on the Home Page or the Logout button on the main menu bar.
- Close your Internet browser.
Note: The website will automatically log out after a period of inactivity. Type in your user name and password to re-enter the site.
Patients with EMISaccess Login Details
If you have previously used the EMISaccess website to book appointments or manage prescriptions, you will now need to use a different one. This is because your GP practice has changed the computer system that they use, and therefore, changed the online service that they use.
You can use your EMISaccess login details to log in to SystmOnline without needing to visit the practice to be provided with a username and password. If your EMISaccess password is less than eight characters long, however, you will not be able to use it on SystmOnline. In this case, you will need to visit your practice to set up your login details.
On EMISaccess, you will have used one of the following sets of information to log in:
- Practice ID
- Access ID
- User ID
On SystmOnline, you will need:
Your SystmOnline user name will either be ‘AccessID_PracticeID’ OR User ID depending on how you were logging into EMIS. Your password remains the same.
Example 1: Fred Bloggs attends Station Road Practice and has an EMISaccess login. His Access ID is ‘1000’, the Practice ID for Station Road is ‘2000’ and his password is ‘myragdoll’. On SystmOnline his username will therefore be ‘1000_2000’ and his password will be ‘myragdoll’.
Example 2:John Smith attends Grange Park Practice and has an EMISaccess login. His User ID is ‘1234010000’. On SystmOnline his username will therefore be ‘1234010000’.
As SystmOnline has stricter password requirements than EMISaccess, you are encouraged to change your password the first time you log in so that it is at least eight characters and includes at least one number and one non-alphanumeric character, e.g. ‘!’ or ‘?’
Managing Appointments with SystmOnline
You will be able to see up to five past appointments and all future appointments. You will also be able to book and cancel appointments.
Your practice may limit the number of future appointments that you can have at any one time. If you have already reached this limit and would like to book another appointment, you should contact your practice by telephone or in person.
Viewing Past/Future Appointments
Click the View Past Appointments/View Future Appointments link on the Home Page, or click the Past Appointments/Future Appointments button on the main menu bar.
This page shows the date, day, start and end time of past appointments as well as the location, clinician and booking status, e.g. ‘Booked’.
Click Details to see the full address and any special instructions, e.g. ‘Please remember to bring your medication.’
To print these details, click Print.
Booking an Appointment
Providing you have not already reached your practice’s limit for the number of future appointments, you can book an appointment using this service.
Click the Book Appointment link on the Home Page or the Book Appointment button on the main menu bar.
The page displayed shows details of all the sessions at your GP practice that are available for online booking. The table shows the date an appointment is available, the earliest and latest slot times, as well as the location, clinician and session type.
Your practice may have decided to allow you to book more than two weeks in advance. If they have, a drop-down list will be available for you to select dates further in the future. Select an option from the list and click Show.
Click View Available Appts at the end of the row for the session you require.
A list of appointments is displayed showing the appointment type, start and end time, and duration of the appointment. The most useful columns for you are ‘Start Time’ and ‘End Time’.
Click Book at the end of the row for the appointment you require.
Check the details of the appointment, including the full address – if your practice operates from more than one site, check that this is where you want to go. If appropriate, enter the reason for your appointment in the Reason field, e.g. Blood Pressure check. This will help practice staff to prepare for your appointment. Bear in mind, however, that any information you enter may be visible to all practice staff and not just to the clinician you are going to see.
To continue without booking the appointment, click Cancel.
To confirm the appointment, click Book Appointment. The appointment is confirmed.
To print the details, click Print. Otherwise, click Back or any other menu option.
Cancelling an Appointment
To cancel an appointment:
- Go to the the Future Appointments page and click the Cancel Appointment button relating to the appropriate appointment.
- Check the appointment details and click Cancel this appointment.
- To continue without cancelling the appointment, click Back or any other menu option; otherwise, click Close.
Managing Prescriptions with SystmOnline
For certain drugs, you can request a new prescription.
Click the Current Prescriptions link on the Home Page, or the Current Prescriptions button on the main menu bar.
All current repeat prescriptions are listed with the drug, dosage, quantity, last issued date and status. An empty tick box in the left-hand column means you can ask for a new prescription for that drug.
To request a repeat prescription:
- Select the drug by ticking the box in the left-hand column. If the item you require is not listed or if you need to include further information with your request, type the details into the Medication Request Notes field. When providing this information, you should bear in mind that it may be visible to all practice staff.
- Click Request Medication. The Medication Order Summary is displayed, stating that a request has been sent to the practice to re-prescribe the item(s), and that the prescription will be ready for collection in two working days (after 2pm).
- Click Return to Current Medication to return to the Current Prescriptions page where the status of the drug will show that it has been requested.
Completing a Questionnaire
To complete a questionnaire:
- Click the Questionnaires link on the Home Page, or the Questionnaires button on the main menu bar.
- Click Fill In Questionnaire beside the questionnaire you want to complete.
- Answer the questions.
- Click Submit. A message is displayed to confirm that the answers have been sent to your practice.
To print out a copy of the completed questionnaire, click Print.
Granting Additional Access to Your Account
You can give other SystmOnline users access to your SystmOnline account(s). To set up the additional users on your account:
- Click the Grant Additional Access link on the Home Page.
- Enter a name for the account.
- Get the other person to enter the SystmOnline username and password that they currently use to log in to SystmOnline.
- Click Submit. A message is displayed to confirm that the extra user has been added.
Giving someone else access to your account will give them access to all of your SystmOnline accounts. For example, if you have two different usernames that you use to book appointments at two different units, the extra person will be able to log in under either of your usernames, as well as any of their own. Once logged in, the extra user can access all the features of the SystmOnline service on your behalf.
To remove the extra accounts:
- Click the Grant Additional Access link on the Home Page.
- Click the Remove button next to the account you wish to remove.
- A message is displayed to confirm that you want to remove the account. Click either Confirm to remove the extra account, or Cancel to go back to the Home Page.
Changing your SystmOnline Password
You will initially be given a random password but you can change this to something more memorable. Passwords must be eight or more characters long and must contain at least one number and one non-alphanumeric character, e.g. ‘!’ or ‘?’
- Click the Change Password link on the Home Page.
- Enter the current password.
- Enter the new password.
- Re-enter the new password.
- Click Submit. You are advised to memorise the new password, and not to write it down or disclose it to anyone else.
- Click Back.
Changing your Contact Details
To change your address, telephone number(s) or email address:
- Click the Change Contact Details link on the Home page.
- Enter your new details then click Submit new contact details. A message is displayed, showing that your details were sent successfully.
Note: If you are happy for your practice to send text messages to your mobile telephone, e.g. appointment reminders, select Allow SMS notifications and ensure that you have provided your mobile telephone number.
Asking a Question
To submit a question to your practice via SystmOnline:
- Click the Ask a Question link on the Home page.
- Type your question, ensuring that you include details of who the question is for and providing your contact details.
- Click Submit question. The screen shows the question you sent.
- Click Home on the main menu bar to return to the Home page.
Note: This facility is intended for non-urgent questions. If you require a quick response, you should telephone your practice or visit your practice in person.
Registering at this Practice with SystmOnline
If your GP practice operates a service allowing you to send an online patient registration request, you can do it at any time (you don’t need to attend the practice during normal opening hours):
- Go to your practice’s normal website and follow the relevant link, e.g. Self Registration. You will be taken to the SystmOnline Login page.
- Click Register with this practice at the foot of the Login page. You will then see a form that you need to fill in. A random verification code is displayed against coloured blocks at the top of the form.
- Enter this code in the field underneath.
- Complete the rest of the registration form. The fields marked ‘*This is a required field’ are mandatory. You should have all mandatory details already, e.g. your date of birth and address. If you know the information to complete the non-mandatory fields, you may do so. This includes things like correspondence address, NHS Number and ethnicity.
- To return to the SystmOnline Login page without sending the registration request, click Back.
- Click Submit to send the registration request to the practice. If you have left any mandatory fields blank or entered any information incorrectly (e.g. dates in the wrong format), they will be flagged and you must enter a new verification code at the top of the page, ensure all fields are correctly completed and click Submit again.
Your practice will then receive your details and will process your registration. If you do not hear from them within the next few days, it may be a good idea to contact them.
Your practice may wish you to complete a form. If this is the case, a message will be displayed after you click Submit, confirming that your registration request was sent successfully and asking you to fill in a GMS1 form.
To go to the GMS1 form, click the button at the foot of the page.
You can complete this form online and then print it, or print out a blank copy and complete it by hand.
At the foot of the page, click Print to print the form.
Once you have successfully registered and have visited the practice for your first appointment, practice staff can provide you with a user name and password for the SystmOnline service, allowing you to manage your appointments and prescriptions online and change your contact details.
SystmOnline Usage and Privacy Policies
Please use this service responsibly. In the case of any abuse of the service, your GP practice can prevent you from accessing the service by stopping your user name and password from working.
Examples of irresponsible use of the system may include, but are not limited to:
- registering at a GP practice when you have no intention of using it as your usual GP practice
- registering at a GP practice outside your catchment area
- booking appointments you have no intention of attending
- repeatedly booking and then cancelling appointments
- repeatedly requesting prescriptions that you do not need
We are committed to protecting your privacy online. The personal information you enter on this website is strictly controlled. Information entered is available only to members of staff with appropriate access rights at your GP practice – i.e. those managing appointment booking, repeat prescribing and patient registration. Your personal information will not be shared with any third parties. Your personal information will not be sold to any third parties.
The full Terms and Conditions are available here.